Things to do in Durham
Aloft Raleigh-Durham Airport Brier Creek is located just a few miles from RDU Airport, and 11 miles from Durham. Explore our favorite things to do in Durham below.
- American Tobacco Campus
- Brightleaf Square
- Duke University
- Durham Performing Arts Center
- Eno River State Park
- Historic Stagville
- North Carolina Central University
- Raleigh-Durham International Airport
How To Get Here
- Duke University - Explore all that this historic campus has to offer including the picturesque Sarah P. Duke Gardens, Blue Devils Stadium for a basketball game, or the Duke Lemur Center, home to the most lemurs outside of their native Madagascar.
- Historic Stagville - A fully preserved pre-Civil War plantation, be sure and head north of Durham to experience this piece of history. Stagville is one of the area's largest surviving plantations and offers guided and self-guided tours daily. Many original structures still stand, including living quarters and the mule barn.
- Brightleaf Square - You'll find an eclectic mix of stores in these historic buildings, along with a variety of dining options. During the warmer months, enjoy live entertainment in the outdoor courtyard before stopping in at the local brewpub.
- Eno River State Park - This 33 mile long river traverses across Durham, and is best accessed from the State Park just south of downtown. Take advantage of fishing, kayaking, hiking, and more in this beautiful area highlight.
- American Tobacco Campus - Punctuated by the Lucky Strike Smokestack, the revitalized American Tobacco Campus now houses restaurants, shopping, the Durham Bulls Athletic Park, and more. Be sure and check out the free music under the stack each Thursday night.
- Durham Performing Arts Center - Broadway tours, local shows, concerts, and other events all hit the stage throughout the year at this arts center located on the American Tobacco Campus.
- Ninth Street Shopping District - This collegiate neighborhood borders Duke University and includes college bars, upscale dining, shopping, and more.
- Museum of Life + Science - Kids and kids at heart will love exploring the butterfly house, dinosaur dig, and live animal exhibits. Get face-to-face with live black bears, wolves, and lemurs from the Duke Lemur Center.
- North Carolina Central University - This public university celebrated its 105th birthday in 2015, marking over a century of being the country's first liberal arts school for African Americans.